Happy First Anniversary, Katie!

It’s been a year since we welcomed Katie Van Scyoc, PT, DPT, CMTPT to PT Center for Women. With her wide variety of skills, she’s been a perfect addition to the team. We love her. Her patients love her ("Katie is the best!," says Gretchen H; "Katie is wonderful and knowledgeable!" says Victoria M). We just wanted to check in with her for an update. We also wanted to introduce you to Katie if you haven’t had the chance to meet her. You’ll find her to be as wonderful as we do.

Give us a brief snapshot of your first year at PT Center for Women.

"I truly feel so blessed to be in this profession and working at PT Center for Women. The patients I have met and worked with over the past year are so amazing. You're coming alongside women at very different times in their life at different stages, many times when they're feeling vulnerable or insecure or in very stressful situations. And we have the privilege of walking through those stages with them. It's so gratifying to be able to help someone improve their quality of life, not just temporarily but long term. I really value being able to form relationships with patients that can last a lifetime. They know that I'm here for them whenever they need me."

What’s important for every one of your patients to know?

"It’s crucial that you be your own advocate. And I know, especially in this day and age, that can be intimidating. I think women in particular, we're so used to being strong all the time for our family, at work, wherever. A lot of times we can fall into that trap of feeling like we have to put ourselves on the backburner. And I think for women in general, if I'm speaking to them, I would say number one, you need to be a priority. Advocate for yourself and know that pretty much any physical issue that you're having, it's probably not normal, and it's probably very fixable. So if you have any doubt or dissatisfaction with symptoms you're having in your life, short or long term, just ask and we can help you figure it out and fix it. Don't just live with not feeling healthy."

What can a first-time patient expect from you?

"First and foremost, I’m on your side. I’m your advocate. It’s my job is to listen really well, right off the bat and at every session, so I fully understand what's going on. Most importantly, I’ll help you learn how to heal yourself and achieve your goals, whatever those may be. I'm not here to fix you. I’m here to show you how you can help fix yourself, empowering you with the tools to maintain your best quality of life."

Share with us a little bit about your specialties.

"I’ve been doing pelvic floor rehab now for more than 17 years, for women and men. That includes the treatment of chronic pelvic pain, pelvic organ prolapse, urinary and bowel dysfunction, pregnancy/postpartum complications, and sexual dysfunction. I have a strong interest and background in treatments of the spine as well, using osteopathic, myofascial and visceral manipulation. And I’ve had a lot of success treating my patients with dry needling."

What do you love most about your job?

"Every individual who walks through the door, woman or man, has their own unique story. I love being part of that journey, helping a patient solve their issues and improve their quality of life. It's like a puzzle. And you have to find all the different pieces that contribute to what is going wrong, and then figure out how to restore them. It’s important that every one of my patients feels heard, feels validated, and understands that they are doing the right thing by coming in and getting treated. Sometimes we are dealing with very personal issues, and people can feel shame or embarrassment with these struggles. That’s a burden I want to lift from them."

To schedule an appointment with this force of nature, please call or text 920.729.2982.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obesity: A Concern for Fertility & Pregnancy

I Want My Body Back!

Creating Harmony Through Balance